Wednesday 7 October 2009

Who Am I?

A national newspaper journalist with 25 years’ experience in this ever-changing industry, I have worked as a reporter, sub-editor, photographer and art editor. I have been staff, freelance and a teacher of journalism.
As Father of the Chapel at the Daily Star for the past 13 years, and currently FoC for all four Express titles supporting around 600 journalists on a daily basis I know the issues facing journalists and publishing workers – staff and freelance – in today’s media industry.
I have a proud track record standing up for journalism – defending those who stand up against proprietorial power, who stand up for fair pay, who stand up for media freedom, who stand up for jobs, who stand up for ethics and who stand up for freedom of information.
I work in print and online. I work with experienced hacks and aspiring new journalists.
I believe my experience gives me the qualities of independence, strength and leadership to take the magazine to where it should be. It should be flying the flag of quality journalism and the real interests of the members whose subscriptions bankroll it.